Friday, May 04, 2007

Devotion


We went to the ballgame last night, so you'll have to forgive me for being a) late in posting; and b) braindead. It was a very exciting game, lots of runs scored, first by the visiting team (Seattle Mariners) and then by the home team (Boston Red Sox), and a late inning game-winning home run. We stayed to the glorious end, which meant getting home pretty darn close to midnight.

I was all set to let my kids sleep late this morning and just go to school late--I can't do anything when I'm half asleep, so it seems hypocritical to require them to learn in that state--but to my shock they sprang up even earlier than usual, ready to go. All they could talk about was the game: "Remember when the Red Sox were down by five runs?" "Yeah, but then they scored 7! And Manny hit TWO home runs!" "I know, that was amazing!" "I'm so glad we got to stay until the end!" At least, I think that's what they were saying; I was dozing against the wall, using a dish towel as a pillow.


This is the way it is with Red Sox fans, though. It's not just a sport, it's an obsession. I wasn't born a Sox fan--converted when I got married--but we are surely raising two devoted little fans. I have learned to warn teachers at school after a particularly heartbreaking loss at Fenway; my son roots hard, and he carries a grudge. When the Sox won the World Series, it was a month-long high.

So what's your team? Do you stay up late to watch them or do you have a TiVo?

zzzzzzzzzz.....

5 comments:

Lois said...

Well, that was the only good reason why the NY MEts lost and didn't get into the World Series last year. . . I didn't have to stay up to watch it. LOL That's how that last game was, lasted close to midnight or something only for them to blow it in the last inning. But alas, part of me didn't mind. If it were a regular season game, I would have given up somehwere along the way, but it was the playoffs, and the last game for that series, so no way could I go to sleep! :)

Lois

Phoebe Belsley said...

Oh I know, Lois! You reallyreallyreally want the team to win, but when they do get knocked out, you realize how much the games were encroaching on your life...

Sally MacKenzie said...

I don't watch sports on TV, but I've been to too many children's sporting events. I was almost always ready--more than ready--for the season to end.

I have to say the worst sport my kids participated in was baseball. Yawn. Double yawn if you don't have a kid on the team who can pitch. (Okay, I confess. I was the pitcher's mom for a couple seasons--that made things more exciting.)

Another confession--since I was the parent in charge of the summer swim team, I was just a little bit rabid about swimming. Can you imagine there are people who think a swim meet is a snore fest? Right. You can imagine that....

Kristi Cook said...

I used to be a die-hard Atlanta Braves fan, but I've pretty much stopped watching, mostly because I just don't watch that much TV anymore and also because it's hard being a Braves fan in NYC. Occasionally we go to a game if the Braves are in town, but I have to 'brave' getting yelled at by rabid Mets/Yankees fans if I wear my Braves jersey!

Now I'm a die-hard NASCAR fan--I literally plan my weekend around races. And when my favorite driver (Tony Stewart) has a bad race, I'm in a pissy mood come Monday!

At least with a sport like baseball/football/basketball, etc., there's a 50/50 chance that 'your team' will win any given game. With NASCAR, the odds are only 1:43 that your favorite driver will end up in Victory Lane! Not good odds, let me tell you.

Ann Christopher said...

Double yawn is right, Sally. Baseball is BORING, but luckily the Reds have a cool new stadium with delicious nachos and other munchies, so there are compensations whenever the kids get those free tix.

Caroline, I can't believe you let your youngish kids stay up till midnight on a school night. My kids would have turned into screaming maniacs the next day. You and I are going to have a serious talk come Nationals...

Ann